Smithsonian Photo Contest- Deadline November 15, 2015
Smithsonian.com’s 2015 Photo Contest begins March 31, 2015, and ends November 30, 2015, at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). By submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to the rules of the contest and states that he or she is 18 years old or older.
Who may enter:
The Grand Prize, Readers’ Choice Prize, Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience and Mobile category prizes are open to photographers who are 18 years old or older. The Sustainable Travel category prize, made possible through the support of United Eco-Skies, is restricted to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Colombia. Individuals affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, including employees, emeriti, Regents, trustees, interns, volunteers, fellows, research associates and their immediate families (children, siblings and spouses), and employees of United Airlines, Inc. (Sponsor), its parent or affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children), and others living in their households are not eligible for any prize. The Smithsonian will determine winners’ eligibility in its sole discretion.
Sponsors: Smithsonian Institution and United Airlines
What to enter:
The following six contest categories are drawn from subjects of special interest to Smithsonian.com:
1. Natural World: Animals, plants and landscapes; geological or climatological features; and scientific processes and endeavors.
2. Travel: Locales, peoples or activities in the United States and abroad that convey a sense of place.
3. People: Individuals from all walks of life.
4. The American Experience: Events, objects or activities connecting the American people to their history or their cultural heritage; photographs that tell us what it means to be an American and provide a sense of what it is like to live in this country.
5. Altered Images: Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e., colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.).
6. Mobile: The Smithsonian will award a prize to the best photograph submitted in any of the other categories that was taken with a mobile device (phone or tablet).
7. In addition this year features a seventh category, Sustainable Travel, made possible through the support of United Eco-Skies. The award for this category, the Eco-Skies Sustainable Travel Leadership Award, recognizes a photographer who demonstrates leadership and an active commitment to travel for environmentally responsible purposes, generating positive social, economic, or environmental outcomes in the local communities traveled to and ensuring the destination remains an attractive place to live, work and visit for future generations. Examples of sustainable travel projects include:
· Environmental conservation and reforestation
· Eco-construction and restoration projects
· Local community enrichment and empowerment volunteering
· Environmental awareness and education
· Exemplary eco-conscious visitor behavior
Entries in this seventh category should address the question: What does a sustainable travel project look like to you? Entries also must be accompanied by a 100-word or less photo caption describing the photo’s content and story behind the photo. Note: Entrants in this category will also be automatically entered in the main Travel photo contest category.
To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2013. The link is below: